This problem is usually associated with Internet Explorer versions 6,7 and 8. When trying to launch your web browser, you might encounter a error similar to the one below:
“IEXPLORE.EXE – Application Error”
“The instruction at “0x100073f3″ referenced memory at “0x100073f3″. The memory could not be “read”
Other errors might be:
2. IE will not open with add-ons disabled.
3. IE will not open even in Safe Mode and with networking disabled.
4. IE will not open, even after resetting.
5. IE will not open even after uninstalling and reinstalling.
Common Causes For “Memory Could Not Be Read” Error:
NOTE: Always run a good registry cleaner software on your PC like Speedy PC Pro to make sure your computer is cleaned before trying to manually fix errors.
Reason 1: There is an installed toolbar that is causing the problem such as Yahoo Messenger or ad-supported toolbars such as HotBar.
Reason 2: You computer is infected with spyware or malware and it needs to be cleaned.
- Download SuperAntiSpyware, install it and make sure you update the definition files.
- Reboot your computer in Safe Mode. (Press the F8 key during system startup).
- Run SuperAntiSpyware on the full option.
- Reboot your system normally (not in Safe Mode).
- Download and install the tool TDSSKiller from Kaspersky.
If your IE application error is related to a trojan infection, the software will find infected file(s) such as:
The example above is a RootKit hack inhibiting your computer’s ability to access Windows Update and might also be causing “shady” browser redirects. Your Trojan or warning message may be different then the example above but be sure to remove anything that is reported by the software.